About Greenhill Humane Society
Greenhill Humane Society is a non-profit organization that relies on the generosity of donors and volunteers in Eugene, Springfield, Veneta and throughout Lane County. We operate two shelters within Lane County: the Greenhill Shelter on Green Hill Rd., and the 1st Avenue Shelter on 1st Ave. and Bertelsen in Eugene.
Your participation in Bark in the Park – as runners, walkers, fundraisers, and donors allows us to shelter and care for approximately 3,000 animals that come to us for help each year. With your help, we provide medical and behavioral care in order to transition homeless companion animals into new loving homes. We spay & neuter nearly 2,200 animals each year; many of the surgeries are provided at low or no cost to low-income caregivers. With your help, we are a resource to this community, providing humane education, fielding over 20,000 pet related calls each year, and offering volunteer and mentorship opportunities.
Did you know?
- Greenhill Humane Society never puts a time limit on how long an animal stays at the shelter.
- Greenhill Humane Society never euthanizes an animal for space reasons.
- In 2016, Greenhill reunited or found loving homes for a total of 2,650 pets - 1,344 dogs, 1,192 cats, and 114 other animals.
Greenhill Humane Society is a non-profit animal welfare organization that you can trust. Greenhill has been serving this community since 1944, and has a well-deserved reputation as a leader in animal welfare.
Other interesting bits of information:
- Greenhill Humane Society was founded 74 years ago.
- We operate two shelters in Eugene.
- The Greenhill shelter campus sits on 20 acres across from the wetlands preserve in West Eugene.
- The 1st Avenue Shelter is located at 3970 W. 1st Avenue
- We employ 45 people including three veterinarians.
- We have approximately 350 regular volunteers each month who put in over 3,300 volunteer hours each month.
- We have an active foster program with over 100 families providing care for animals that need special attention.
- Greenhill’s on-site spay/neuter clinic performs over 2,200 surgeries each year. Half of these surgeries are provided at low-to-no cost for stray, feral, and free-roaming cats within Lane County.